Karachi Session of 1931
Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel presided the Karachi Session of Indian National Congress in 1931. In this session of Indian National Congress following demands were considered as goal for Independence,
- Complete Independence, previously INC was asking for the dominion status. But after the Gandhi-Irwin Pact, Complete Independence became the slogan of Indian National Congress.
- The eminent leaders of Congress also defined the complete independence. The complete independence included sovereignty of the nation. Protection and promotion to the minorities. The compulsory education also became the demand of nationalists.
- In Karachi Session of INC, leaders also demanded the fundamental rights of the people.
New Economic Policy
New Economic Policy from the platform of Congress came. This promised the protection of the rights of labourers and farmers. The reason was to win the heart of this group also. Because everybody was in a deep sorrow after the hanging of the Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru.
After this Gandhi left for Britain to attend Second Round Table Conference.
Second Round Table Conference
Round Table Conference was an invitation to Indian Political Parties to discuss a new set of political reforms to be given to Indians as per the promise of Government of Indian Act of 1919.
Indian National Congress denied attending First Round Table Conference in 1929. Though invitation was for all the important parties. But still, INC did not send their representative to attend First Round Table. So, in the Second Round Table, after the Gandhi-Irwin Pact, Gandhi went to the Britain to attend Second Round Table Conference as a representative of Indian National Congress.
Since the birth of Indian National Congress and other parties, they all were demanding different things from the Government. The groups participated in the Second Round Table Conference were,
During the time of Second Round Table Conference, Ramsay MacDonald was the British Prime Minister. He gave the following proposals to Gandhi,
- India will be a federation.
- Share to Indians in Centre Government.
- Separate electorate to depressed class!!!!!!
The last proposal broke down the talk between government and Gandhi. So, Gandhi once again boycotted Third Round Table Conference.
This was all about the Karachi Session and Second Round Table Conference. In the coming post, we shall read about the Communal Award and How Gandhi dealt with it.
Thank you so much. 🙂 Stay Connected. 🙂